Members of Wild Asia Group Scheme (WAGS) have the unique opportunity to join Wild Asia’s WAGS BIO programme. To be a WAGS BIO farmer, the farmer commits to farm without agro-chemicals and non-organic fertilisers, and to learn and apply a range of farming methods – organic, bio-dynamic or regenerative, as a transition to next-level sustainable farming.
A BIO farmer, for example, learns to make compost and fruit enzymes to create microbe-rich soil and to use mill wastes like oil palm decanter cake and empty fruit bunches as organic fertiliser. He will also be introduced to the benefits of polyculture to enhance biodiversity.
WAGS BIO farming is essentially a production system designed to improve the soil organic matter (humus), the soil microbiology and conditions, increase plant growth and produce better yield per unit area. In short, restoring and improving soil fertility will lead to healthier palms that are resistant to pests and diseases, and produce higher yields of fresh fruit bunches (FFB).
Why ‘BIO’ farming in oil palm
- By not using pesticides and chemical fertilisers, farmers can protect soil health and slash production costs.
- Farms that adopt regenerative agriculture practices can increase profitability and foster sustainable land management. A 2019 case study showed a BIO plot’s gross profit is 30% more than conventional plot.
- WAGS BIO Farms harbour natural micro-habitats and improve soil organic carbon. Polycultures thrive in biodiverse environments and can help supplement farms’ earnings.
- BIO farm skills are applicable to backyard or community gardens, thus improving food security, health and nutrition for farmers and their families.
BIO farming vs Conventional oil palm farming
What is WAGS BIO
Meet our farmers
How you can support WAGS BIO
- Be a SPIRAL partner
- Join us as a WAGS BIO farmer
To know more about WAGS BIO or how to join WAGS BIO, reach out to us.
Our BIO Partners
Our technical partners provide materials, knowledge or research expertise to enhance the capacity of WAGS, the BIO team and the extension services we provide to our BIO farm network.